We’re getting so far along in our 12 Days of Giving that I’m starting to lose track of what day it is! But, today is Day 8, and we’re giving away our Asset Management Webinar, “The Software Asset Management Landscape Has Changed: What You Need to Know”.
So what do you need to know about this new landscape, a.k.a. Asset Management? Beyond exploring what exactly an asset is or can be, this webinar covers:
· Software Asset Management best practice and strategy
· Changes with Virtual Machines and Cloud Licenses
· Lowering cost and risk with ServiceNow’s SAM
3 things you need to know before you watch the webinar…
1. A modern ITAM solution allows organizations to consolidate legacy systems into one system of record and automate the full asset lifecycle. Organizations that are looking to deploy Asset Management applications are often transitioning from stand-alone ITAM and Software Asset Management (SAM) point solutions to a fully integrated suite of applications, sharing a common interface and database.
Even if, for a second, you forget about features and functions, this transformation alone opens the doors to incredible value – data and processes will be merged together on one platform! Then, you connect ITAM with your other existing processes (or new ones your deploying at the same time), to achieve even greater business value. Here are three of our favorite ITAM combinations;
- ITAM and Workflow. Perhaps the most exciting aspect of having ITAM on the ServiceNow platform is the ability to use the graphical workflow editor to automate activities together with other processes. This can include something as simple as notifying a purchasing group to replenish low stock or something more advanced like identifying when unauthorized software has been installed and offering instructions for correcting the violation.
- ITAM and Service Catalog. Organizations offer all types of goods and services through service catalogs. Standard asset models and product bundles make it easy to create a smarter service catalog. Advanced workflows can check inventory in stockrooms before issuing a purchase request. A software request workflow can check available licenses and then automatically create an entitlement record under that license to record the approval. Multiple assets can be grouped into order guides to streamline the user experience. Standards, bundles, and automated workflow significantly improve the fulfillment of service catalog requests.
- ITAM and Analytics. The built-in metrics and reporting engine make it easy to access and analyze any piece of information from throughout ServiceNow. Any authorized person can create reports and dashboards removing the need for specialized report administrators. This means that questions can be answered much faster and decisions made sooner. Something that used to be very time-consuming with legacy ITAM systems, like creating a report showing software compliance, can be completed in seconds and even scheduled and shared with managers and capacity planners instantly.
2. Optimizing is designing and consistently executing automated processes that enforce company policies and reduce waste. We know that “optimization” is starting to sound like just a common buzzword, and sometimes it is mistaken as that finish line an organization is racing to cross.
In reality, optimization is ongoing, it’s not a race to complete and a podium you can stand on, but rather consistently doing the small tasks, small improvements to reduce your company spend and increase efficiency over time. In ITAM, this means going from showing to doing.
For your ITAM systems, this means transitioning from just collecting data and generating reports to automating the decision processes.
3. SAM should be a C-level imperative. The material risk of being audited by software publishers and the resource disruption it causes has never been greater. Software license management is no small task. Organizations struggle to distinguish what software is where and how much of it there is throughout its lifecycle. Identifying software deployed that is accurately mapped to entitlement rights purchased is complicated by complex licensing models across thousands of software titles.
Compounding this problem is the mandate that IT departments must reduce year-over-year software spend, while still using the same outdated tools and processes. In this environment, it is almost impossible to identify savings opportunities because IT doesn’t have the resources or capacity to meet even the most basic requirements and expectations. By getting executive buy-in from the beginning, your Asset Management teams will receive the support they need to make a difference in your organizations.
Now that you’re ready to go, who’s going to be on the line?
This webinar is brought to you by Carleen Carter, Acorio’s Director of Technology Initiatives who has been in the IT field for almost 20 years. In fact, our favorite fun fact about her is that she was actually one of the earliest employees at ServiceNow (#99 if we’re being exact!) Her ServiceNow journey has brought her through every aspect of the platform; Asset Management, CSM, ITSM, ITOM and CMDB, Cost Management, Workflow, Portal, and Catalog. Far from an exhaustive list, she serves as Acorio’s IT Asset Management Practice Lead, as well as the owner of intellectual property and Boosts in the company.
Joining Carleen is Business Process Consultant Wally Waltner. With experience in the “Big 4” consulting firms, he is a veteran IT Asset Management practitioner, who excels at translating complex technical concepts into understandable business terms. His presence on the webinar is the voice of reason to Carleen’s technical, highlighting the business values of ITAM.
Are you ready to watch?
As our gift to you, this webinar is available to watch on-demand! All you need to do is create, or log in to, a free BrightTalk account, and then you’ll have access to this hour-long webinar (plus our other selection of ServiceNow webinars. So, grab some popcorn (we don’t judge!), put in your headphones, and be ready to take some notes!
If you don’t have time to watch the entire webinar, we’re also giving you the opportunity to download the webinar slide deck here! Skim through it now, then listen to the webinar when you get a chance.