Gemalto: A new ServiceNow Customer Service Management (CSM) strategy opens opportunities to improve satisfaction scores and increase revenues
When Gemalto, a global cybersecurity firm headquartered in France, acquired the U.S. security company SafeNet, the parent firm used the merger as an opportunity to review the U.S.company’s customer service management (CSM) platform. Thorough customer surveys provided feedback for meaningful improvement, including: making the service desk easier and more rewarding to use; modernizing the interface; and giving end users more direct access to the information and downloads they needed (e.g., drivers, manuals).
On the backend, Gemalto’s support team had no easy way of accessing customer entitlement records, forcing them to give free support regardless of service status. Each product family had its own support site, creating inconsistent service experiences for end users. Worse, the old CSM had been custom built on top of Seibel; any change, no matter how small, required the attention of a web developer.
“We needed to improve the service experience for previous SafeNet customers,” says Steve Walsh, Gemalto’s Vice President of Client Services, “while welcoming new Gemalto customers onto our service platform.”
After initial consideration of various CSM options, Gemalto realized that a cloud-based SaaS platform would provide greater long-term value. In particular, the company could benefit from routine upgrades that kept pace with emerging technology without having to reinvest in new rounds of coding.
Even with standardized upgrades, ServiceNow offered a flexible platform to support Gemalto’s growing needs and scale. Working with Acorio throughout the implementation, Gemalto was able to integrate their new CSM with a number of crucial on-premise applications:
- By Integrating with Oracle EBS, support staff got easy access to every customer’s licensing and entitlement agreements, eliminating costly free service giveaways to customers not paying for support, as well as opening the door for service upgrades. Equally as important was the ability to replace time-consuming manual return process with an automated workflow that dramatically reduced resolutions times.
- Integration with Gemalto’s file download system (FDS), leveraging a modern, self-service portal, allowed customers to navigate, and download the files they needed within the CSM online interface very quickly.
- A newly-organized data model (encouraged by Acorio as a ServiceNow best practice), made knowledge-base articles, previously held in a separate Inquira system, available on the CSM site for simple self-help.
- ServiceNow’s type-ahead functions were supplemented by Acorio’s approach to include categorization and graphic icons representing common search categories for faster navigation.
- “Special handling” instructions enabled other departments to intuitively help support staff quickly identify and address special situations, enhancing the customer experience while reducing the internal spend cycle.
In just ten months from RFP to rollout, the implementation was complete, and customers seeking service were pleased to see a modern, Gemalto-branded portal for fast navigation and rapid insight into case progress.